It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:09 am

Bute?

It's important that horses with muscle disorders have a properly managed diet. Discuss all things feed, supplement, hay and pasture related here
  • Author

ecileh

Bute?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 5:26 am

In early August, Quincy came up lame with a stifle injury. She was on a course of Legend and on fairly high doses of bute for three weeks (still in very light work, though). When we got the all clear from the vet in early Sept, she tied up on our first ride (a walking tour of a nearby field).

It occurred to me that there is sweetener in Equizone bute powder and I spoke to my vet about it as a possible cause, but he looked at me like I was crazy. I have been all over the web looking for the *amount* of sweetener present in each dose, but cannot find any information on specifics. Has anyone else ever experienced this re: bute?

Maybe I AM crazy? :)

As a sidebar, this is a routine frustration of mine--practically no one in the industry labels things with NSC values and that is critical information!

Xanthoria

Site Admin

Re: Bute?

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 6:08 pm

I feel like this is one of those things that might be less important than you think, unless your horse's entire diet is on a knife edge.

For example, unless you were feeding a pound of bute per day, his daily total NSC level is still pretty low if your overall diet is low NSC, right?

Return to Diet and supplements