It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 pm

My gelding Hierro

The struggle to diagnose and manage PSSM/EPSM, shivers and other muscle issues in horses can be tough. Take a minute to introduce yourself and your horse(s) and tell us your story.
  • Author

Xanthoria

Site Admin

My gelding Hierro

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi all

I thought I'd get this stared by telling my horse's story. He's a 4 yr old 16.3hh Dutch warmblood I bought as a 6 month old colt. When I trailered him home from the breeder age 2, he had just started showing slight symptoms, but by the time he got home he was having a really hard time lifting his feet for cleaning.

He spent 6 months on stall rest due to pedal osteitis and on his return to pasture he was deteriorating. He was diagnosed PSSM type 2 by Dr Valberg in february 2016, and since then I have been trying to get him rehabbed by diet and exercise.

Currently he gets l-carnitine, 2.5 cups canola oil, alfalfa pellets, 7,500IU natural vitamin E and lots of amino acids, as well as his grass hay and 24/7 turnout on a pretty dry lot. I ride him 5 days a week - I started him myself 3 months ago.

Dr Valberg additionally diagnosed him with shivers recently, so I'm not sure what that means for his future, but he is a lovely sweet horses so we'll give it a shot!

Return to Welcome: Tell Your Story